We take our environmental and social responsibilities very seriously. Whether it’s utilizing solar power, recycling waste materials, conserving water or facilitating alternative transportation, we are always prepared to take the initiative.
EV Charging Station
On December 18th, The Boulder Inn installed the first hotel EV Charging Station in Boulder. A total of 3 stations including (2) Tesla 80 Amp Single Phase for Model S, and 1 Sun Country EV40 J1772. Available for employees and guests to use at no charge, the 3 stations draw power from the hotels electrical grid which includes solar power. “I hope that other local hotels will be encouraged to join in our sustainability effort,” said General Manager Steven Wallace. “We are also very excited to be a part of the Tesla electric vehicle charging network.”
The Boulder Inn is the most solar-powered hotel in Boulder County. The solar electric system saves 28,694 kWh of electricity production annually, and provide approximately 25% of the hotel’s overall electrical needs. Our goal is to reduce our guests’ carbon footprint during their stay and be a market leader in sustainability.
Our Green Initiatives include:
- The majority of our guest rooms are equipped with dual flush toilets, which offer an amazing 0.8/1.28 gpf water use. This equates to 44% water savings compared to traditional 1.6 gallon toilets.
- We pioneered a Best Western Rewards program in which hotel guests are rewarded with additional points for choosing to diminish their energy usage. Our General Manager, Steven Wallace, has presented our idea to Best Western’s governors in an attempt to spread the idea chain-wide.
- The Boulder Inn has implemented a single stream recycling program through Western Disposal, allowing for aluminum cans, glass, bottles, tin, paper, plastic and more to be recycled together.
- Bicycles are made available to guests at no extra charge, and the front desk staff is highly knowledgeable of bike trails, walking paths, and public transportation to help guests reduce their carbon footprint.
- Our new lobby utilizes all LED lighting, and we are in the process of moving from compact fluorescents to LED lighting throughout the property.
- New Designtex upholstered chairs throughout the hotel are made from 91% post-industrial recycled material, and 9% post-consumer recycled material.
- All Boulder Inn staff is encouraged to use alternate methods of transportation, and receive a free RTD Eco Pass. The majority of the employees utilize their Eco Pass on a regular basis.
- All disposable dishware for our hot breakfast is now made from recycled paper, rather than Styrofoam.
- We have completed a rigorous certification program by Sustainable Tourism International, and have been approved as a Bronze member.
A Green Team, comprised of volunteer Boulder Inn associates, meets regularly to brainstorm, plan, manage, and implement environmentally based programs. Their efforts have so far yielded the implementation of the following ideas:
- Housekeeping policy dictates that black-out window coverings are utilized during warm-weather days to block unwanted solar radiation, and are opened during the cold-weather days to allow for natural heat to enter guest rooms, thereby lessening need to air condition/heat.
- Guest room televisions are Energy-Star rated, 40 inch LCD high definition units.
- Guests are given the opportunity to contribute to our commitment to the environment by choosing to reuse bed linens and towels, reducing energy, water, and detergents required from daily washings.
- The Boulder Inn makes a very conscious effort to buy locally. This supports the local economy, as well as reduces transportation-based pollution.
- Housekeeping department utilizes State Chemical’s “Evolution Pro” environmentally friendly line of cleaning chemicals. Trash bags are made from recycled material, and in room trash cans utilize liners, rather than trash bags.
- Rather than using disposable cups, guest rooms are outfitted with drinking glasses and coffee mugs.
- Heating and air conditioning is reduced in all vacant rooms.
- Reusable hand towels are offered in all public restrooms to reduce paper usage.
- Motion sensors control lighting in low-traffic areas.
- All exterior lighting is controlled via photo sensors to avoid unnecessary daytime usage.
- Recycled paper and double-sided copies are used whenever possible in day to day operations.
- All printers used by the Boulder Inn use refillable ink cartridges.
- All employees are required to use their own refillable beverage containers.
- Linens that have been replaced and unused toiletries are donated to local shelters and charities.
Boulder Inn Environmental Policy
The Boulder Inn is committed to environmental protection and to minimize our properties’ operational impact on the environment through resource conservation and best practices.
In delivering this commitment, we will endeavor to:
- Work diligently to minimize our waste stream and conserve natural resources, particularly through energy and water conservation
- Comply with all applicable environmental legislation and strive to follow best environmental practices
- Make environmental considerations an important aspect of decision-making
- Review the objectives of our environmental program on a periodic basis
- Build local partnerships in the communities where we do business. These partnerships allow us to share our stewardship message, effect positive environmental change, and raise awareness for our guests and colleagues.
- Promise to consider the opinions and feedback of our guests when examining our environmental programs and procedures
- Identify areas for improvement and innovation at the property level and support the efforts of the our green team.